Thursday, January 6, 2011

The day after the call

Thank you all for your sweet words and comments! I still think we're in shock and it all feels so surreal. It's so weird, I never thought it would feel like this. I think there are just so many things going on that it's hard for my mind to comprehend it all.

The big, "scary" point if you will in all of this is that the birthfather is not in the picture. The agency is trying to make contact with him to get him to consent to the adoption. If that doesn't happen then we'll have to follow the legal route to get his rights terminated. So basically we're looking at a "legal risk" of a few weeks to several months. Unless, he comes forward now and terminates his rights---that's what we're praying for. If not, we feel at this point, we just take the risk, fully believing that God has us here for a reason.

My social worker said today that things are still going well and that the family is all in agreement with the adoption plan. She said she was playing phone tag with the birthparent social worker and that she expected to talk with her tomorrow. Hopefully we'll have some more news by then.

So now the big questions have hit like, our insurance and finding a pediatrician. I honestly hadn't even thought about that stuff. Tommy's checking on the insurance side of things and should find out something tomorrow. I'm meeting with the lady who is in charge of payroll at my school and will find out tomorrow how we can work things out. Then we'll be calling to set up the pediatrician. We also have to buy a car seat but we're waiting until the weekend to see if it looks like things are still on go---I guess for so long it's been "no" or "negative" that we are just scared.

The one thing I am thankful for is one of the first meetings we had with our agency and they had a panel of adoptive parents and birthparents. I remember one lady who had a story similar to our's that said-treat all of this as if you were pregnant. You don't want to look back and regret that you didn't do something or weren't excited. She also said to set up the nursery so things would seem more real. At first we weren't going to set up the nursery but then decided to and I'm so glad that we have the big furniture in there now. I would be in a tizzy if I had to run around and do that now too.

I think that's it for now. I'm exhausted! I know I need to try to get some rest because this might be some of the last good rest I get for a while :) Thanks for praying for us and know that we are praying for all of you as well!

7 comments:

  1. You BETTER rest up! So so many details to think about, but it will all be worth it in the end when you are holding your baby boy in your arms. This is so incredible! The anticipation must hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, even when I was pregnant folks said "Rest now!" but it's not like I could store up the extra sleep and use it when the babies came! LOL I know a part of you is still guarded, but I do hope you are soaking it all in and enjoying being an expectant mama (not that you were not before, but you are now one with a due date!). I am continuing to pray for you, your hubby, and your baby!

    Oh and thank you for your sweet comment tonight and for your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to comment yesterday to tell you how happy I am for you and Tommy. How exciting and scary. I'll be praying everything works out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soooo excited for you guys...let us know what to pray for specifically as things keep moving...take a deep breath too...everything will work out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying that the birthfather issue will be totally resolved quickly! (HUG)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh WOW WOW WOW!!! Praying for you!!! :) This is just sooo wonderful! I'll be praying. I thought I was anxious/excited about getting or house --- this is such a differnet level!!!!!!!! :) We have an infant car seat and base if you all need it! It's boy colors. :) Thanks for keeping us in the loop via internet. So happy for you and praying for smooth transitions and it all to pan out. We're praising Him with you and trusting His plan with you!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we got "the call" our daughter was due to arrive 8 weeks later and I thought that was quick but I got nothing on you! We had a similar situation with our birthfather - he knew of the pregnancy and supported the adoption but was basically running scared. The agency finally got a hold of him 4 days after she was born and he signed a week later. It was a nervous time but we got through it just fine. Good luck to you and I will be praying for you. Don't expect the shock to go away anytime soon - Sophia is almost 5 months old and it still hits me hard some nights when I'm rocking her to sleep that she is here with me.

    ReplyDelete