Monday, August 23, 2010

Just when you think you're over it

Well I thought I was over "it." The "it" being that down feeling you get when something happens to someone that you really want to happen to you. Not so much as in being pregnant, because I honestly believe I'm over that, but the becoming a Mom part. I found out yesterday that an old high school friend is pregnant. We don't talk anymore so it's not like she's even a close friend. I think what bothered me the most about it is I remember when she got married and how "anti-kid" she was (and from what I had heard still pretty much was). I think it caught me more off guard than anything else. I honestly haven't felt this way in a long time. I really am happy for the people around me that have children/are having children. I guess it's the whole story with her that made me think, great why not me?! I had a long prayer time in church yesterday to get myself back because let's face it, it's not healthy nor is it good to feel that way. So I picked myself up and enjoyed the rest of my day!

We had a great weekend. Well, I did. Poor Tommy had to work most of the weekend to fix some problems they had due to that bad thunderstorm we had at the end of the week. We did go shrimping again on Friday night with one of Tommy's coworkers. It was a lot of fun. We even brought the "bubble boxes" and a bucket and caught some "critters" for our saltwater tanks at school. I have 3 baby flounders and 2 Atlantic Lookdowns. I think they were pretty happy to get out of the buckets and into the tanks this morning.

So far school is going really well. The first couple of weeks are always busy with extra events at night so I'll be glad when those are behind us. Hope everyone is having a Happy Monday!

4 comments:

  1. Yuck. I'm so sorry. That recently happened with friends of ours. They just had their baby and it's a little tough because I know they did not want kids. I hope that you get your little bundle of joy soon. I hope the rest of your week goes well. Enjoy back to school week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we ever get 'over it'. I think over time it becomes less of a hurt for us IFers when those announcements rock our happy countanance.

    Glad you had a wonderful rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I am so sorry about that. My (used to be?) best friend from college complained the entire length of her pregnancy about how it happened (honeymoon, what a shame :-P), and it has changed our relationship (at least from my point of view) forever....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shrimping, huh? That sounds like a lot of fun! I like to go fishing- but for bass and panfish...I'm from Wisconsin, no shrimp here!

    I think that until we become mothers, there is always going to be some amount of jealousy with other new moms. We just have to use that in a positive way. Volunteer to help out or serve the new mom in some way. Think of things from their perspective. Except for the moms who complain and/or say they don't want to have children...I think it should help a little to make us lose the jealousy.

    ReplyDelete