Thursday, August 19, 2010

Great day!

Today's first day went great! The kids seem to be super sweet but boy am I tired! My 7th graders were pretty shy. In one class I even tried to joke with them to break the ice but they didn't get it. I could hear the crickets chirping, ha ha! Oh well maybe tomorrow! Many of them thanked me as they left my room which is great to hear. One of my new students was pretty upset that his mom had put each classes materials in plastic grocery bags and labeled them. He was already frazzled because everything is new but I think it made him feel awkward because everyone else had all of their stuff in one big (messy) pile. I helped him carry all of his "bags" to his locker. I told him we could take them out if he wanted but he decided to keep them in there. I noticed when he came to class, he had ditched the bag :) So there's one of today's school stories for you!

We also had a HUGE thunderstorm at the end of school today, probably the worst one we've had all summer. It usually happens every year on the first day. The lightening was so bad we ended up having to keep all of the kids inside, 20 minutes past the time they were supposed to get out. So that made for an interesting dismissal time!

On the adoption front, our social worker emailed us back today! She said that I could "bother" her anytime, so that was nice to hear :) She said they had just finished up the second round of meetings for new potential adoptive parents. She also said another one of her family's were matched with a baby due next month. As for us, this is what she said "I do know I have gotten good feedback from your profile book and several birthmothers have given you very serious consideration." She said some have decided to parent and others chose another family, she doesn't know why but we all believe those were just not the babies God had in mind for us. I'm just glad to know there's been some activity and our profile book isn't just sitting on a desk collecting dust.

1 comment:

  1. I have been blowing up my agency's phone and email! I felt bad and told them I was sorry for being a pest, and she told me the same thing! I could "pester" her anytime! Haha!

    Sounds like you had a good first day back!!!

    ReplyDelete