Monday, November 29, 2010

The weekend review

First, I love having a teacher workday on Mondays! Especially the ones that fall right after a holiday. I am now planned and ready to go until 2011! That seems really strange to say that.

Tommy and I did some shopping this weekend and we are almost finished with our Christmas shopping for everyone! I like to finish before I get out for Christmas break so I can use those 2 weeks to relax. His parents are really hard to buy for but his mom mentioned that they needed a new storm door. We took her to Lowe's on Saturday and let her pick out the one she wanted. I hate that we can't surprise them but at least it's something that they need. Afterward, we went to lunch with her and she was talking about some of the drama that's still going on with her brothers. She got teary eyed when she was talking about Tommy's Grandma and about Christmas Eve. We've gone there every Christmas Eve so it will be really strange this year. We're trying to do something completely different so hopefully it will be easier on her.

While we were at lunch, she mentioned that Tommy's brother's little girl (she's 6) had called to ask if Tommy's mom was going to put up a Christmas tree. She told her of course that she always does and asked why. Our niece told her that her Dad said he wasn't going to put up their tree this year because they would be down here (they live 2 hours away). She had it in her mind that Santa doesn't come to houses that don't have trees so she was clearing the bases for that :) Tommy couldn't believe that his brother wasn't putting the tree up, only a small one in each of their rooms. Tommy's Grandma used to always go up there and decorate for them. Anyways, he then looks at his mom and says, he just doesn't get it. Does he know what Trisha and I would do to be able to do those types of things for a child? Wow. It's in these situations like this that you realize and are reminded that they long for these children as much as we do, they just show it in a different way. I had to fight back tears from him saying that. It warms my heart so much and I know it's those "little" things that will make him such a great Dad!

We also went furniture shopping for new bedroom furniture. The pieces we have really don't match and they are probably older than I am :) We found a set we really liked and we thought about just using the same bed we have now. Then Tommy realized it had drawers underneath it and he was sold! It should be delivered next week. This will be our Christmas/birthday etc presents to each other. :)

When we got home I had to make 19 pairs of those Christmas earrings that I posted about; my mom sold them to some of the girls that she works with. Needless to say they loved them. I think I may try to enter some craft shows next year.

Then yesterday after church we started getting down all of the Christmas decorations. We finally got finished last night. I love the way those decorations make the house look; I guess it's that feeling of making it seem more like home!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had an awesome weekend...Don't you just love the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love Christmas! That is awesome that you get 2 weeks off soon to relax- you picked a great job. ;) I luckily get 2 weeks off around that time as well between CNA classes and my exam. You should definitely sell those earrings at craft shows!

    ReplyDelete