Sunday, December 12, 2010

Out of the mouths of babes

On Friday, during my last period class, which happens to be a study hall, my students began talking about "kids." Then they asked if I wanted kids, a frequent question lately. Some of them said they could see me with a daughter, others said with a son. One said, she's going to be a great mom. It really lifted my heart to hear them say that about me. One of the girls said, you should have kids, then I could babysit. I told Tommy I really wanted to tell them what we are in the process of doing but I know it's better to just wait. I know they know about adoption because several of my students have been adopted but I don't think they'd quite "get" the whole process. Anyways it really turned out to be a sweet conversation.

We've had a pretty relaxing weekend, thank goodness. We had a Christmas party last night with our church and it was a lot of fun. We went caroling through one of the neighborhoods and I told them all that we were like the group of "misfit carolers." It was pretty funny and the kids that went with us thought it was great.

We've almost finished all of our Christmas shopping. I have two more things to pick up and then we're done! I also got everything wrapped yesterday so that was a good feeling. Thursday is my last day at school with the students and then Friday is a teacher workday; I'll be off until the 3rd and I'm so excited for a little break!

It seems a lot of us have talked lately about some of the "stupid" things people say. Well it's been a while since I've encountered one of these conversations, until today :) And of course it was at church. We were cleaning up after service; the kids were running around, just being kids and one of the women I go to church with says, aren't you guys ready for some of these? Ok, really? And yes she does know we're adopting. I had to bite my tongue to withhold the sarcasm that was going to say, nah we just thought we'd enter the program for fun. Ah, the joys of people not knowing what to say to you. And just for the record, yes we are ready, we have been for 4 years now :)

Speaking of which, I can't believe we started this process to have children 4 years ago. I remember the last day I took the pill and we *thought* we'd be welcoming home our child that year. 2006 seems like it was so far away and we had these huge hopes of becoming parents. Over the last 4 years, we've been through it all. Waking up bright and early to take my temperature, Tommy getting tested, more poking, more testing, IVF, the miscarriage, a FET, and then the process of adoption. Now we wait once more but this time for the phone call that will change our lives forever. We pray it comes soon but we know and are assured that God is holding us and is guiding us through this process as we wait. If it weren't for Him, we know, we'd have never made it this far!

3 comments:

  1. It's kind of funny to me that sometimes kids know what to say more than adults!

    Colin and I are about where you guys are, with starting TTC around 4 years ago. It has been just less than that for us. We've been through a lot, too, but it does just seem like yesterday I had the naive hope of 'I think this is the month'.

    Anyways, someday soon you WILL get that call about a baby. I know you are meant to be a mommy and you WILL be a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know those kids are right! I bet that was encouraging to hear them saying those things :) As opposed to the lady at your church :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still praying you get that call soon!

    I'm glad you took the conversation with your students so well. I remember when those comments would have been hurtful, but now are very sweet. I guess it just depends on where you are in your infertility/adoption journey, huh?

    ReplyDelete