Sunday, September 12, 2010

What a crazy day!

We usually always have plans for the weekends. While most of the time I don't mind it, it's nice to plan a weekend with things we want to do--just go out and have a little fun! Friday night we went out to dinner with some of our neighbors. They have become great friends to us and we're lucky to have them nearby. We had a great time with them.

Saturday we had planned to go out in the boat and do a little fishing. When we got home from dinner on Friday night, we decided to go ahead and get everything together for our adventure on Saturday. We realized we were going to need a few things so we made a quick trip to Wa.lmart. We laughed and said we were really out living on the edge going there at 10:30 at night :) When we got home, I made sandwiches for our day and Tommy got everything ready to go. You have to get to the boat ramp pretty early here or you won't have any place to park.

We woke up at 6 on Saturday morning, loaded up the last few things, and we were on our way. Bailey got to go too so she was super excited. Tommy always puts the boat in the water at the boat ramps and I wait for him on the docks while holding the boat. So as I go down the dock to meet up with him, I grab the few little things from the car and put our cell phones in my pocket. He was going to bring Bailey down with him.

I squat down next to the boat and the phones drop out of my pocket. To my horror, Tommy's phone (iph.one mind you) bounces off the dock and lands in the water....strike that...sinks in the water. All I can see is it light up as it goes down and then it's out of sight. It happened so fast, there was no getting it back. My stomach drops and I feel horrible. Mine landed on the dock. When he gets down there, which seemed like an eternity, I tell him I dropped his phone in the water with tears in my eyes. He looks at me and says don't worry about it, it's not a big deal, it's a phone and I love you. I felt really bad; it would have been better if it were mine that went in. He then said there was nothing we could do about it and we needed to go out and enjoy our day. We start down the waterway and he looks at me and says "oh no." I have no idea what's going on now. He then says we left all of the bait at home. We both laugh and just figure it was going to be one of those days.

We brought the cast net with us and I can throw it (if you don't know what a cast net is, look it up, it takes some skill to do it) :) Thanks to my Dad for teaching me how to do that. I caught a couple of little bait fish in the net and then we stopped at a local seafood place on the water and bought more. The rest of the day we had a great time, talking, fishing, and just hanging out. It was going great until we were anchored up at our "secret" fishing spot. We were getting ready to move spots and I pull the anchor up. As Tommy goes to crank the boat, the battery is dead. We brought an extra battery along with us but unfortunately we needed a nut to help hold the wire to it. We had to call my dad to bring us one. Thankfully we were near some docks so we drifted over to them, tied up, and my dad was able to park and bring it right to us. We hooked it up and it cranked right away.

Even though it was filled with all sorts of adventures, we had a great time. Bailey was so tired when we got home! It's those types of days that you'll never forget!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for visiting our blog...that is awesome - I am so excited to meet another family working with Bethany. I cannot wait to see how God uses you in this journey. Please continue to follow our blog & I will follow yours!! I have wanted to find more families out there adopting!! The more people that know what you are going through the better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have been in tears, too!! Tommy sounds as laid-back as Alan. Alan would have just said, "Well, good excuse to get a new phone!"

    Glad you had a great weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete