Friday, July 16, 2010

Bad things come in 3's, I hope not!

Well it has just been one of those weeks. You know the ones where you'd rather just stay in bed or for me, would rather be on a tropical island in the Caribbean. It has been so hot here this summer and hot here means high humidity (I'm in NC for those of you wondering). This week it's been the kind of humidity that when you walk outside your face is sweating.

Anyways on Wednesday, I noticed that it seemed to be warmer upstairs than normal. It's usually always warmer up there but it seemed unusually warmer that day. When I went downstairs it felt cooler but not like normal. I checked the thermostat and it was 5 degrees higher than what we had it set at. Great. Tommy went outside and checked the unit and it was frozen. This has actually happened before so we were prepared this time. We turned both thermostats off and waited. It would also be at this same time, he gets called in to work and we are having an awful thunderstorm. I notice, while he's gone, that the fan outside on the unit never stopped. Tommy came home at 9, only to get dinner because he had to go back out, and I told him what was going on. He flipped the breaker so it would stop, the unit was still frozen. He ended up not getting home until 1am. Needless to say it was hot!

He finally found a reputable A/C guy to come yesterday at 5. I stayed gone most of the day yesterday because I couldn't deal with it anymore! Thankfully it was cloudy most of the day yesterday and that helped. While we were waiting, I helped Tommy replace some of the piping on his pump for the water sprinklers. We get that all finished and when we flipped the breaker to turn the pump back on, it doesn't work. Tommy thinks it's gone. What next?

On a good note, it was the blower control card from the unit in the attic that went out. Thankfully it was $150 instead of what we feared would be much higher. Hopefully nothing else breaks today! :)

This afternoon we are headed to stay for the weekend at the beach house! I'm so ready. Tomorrow we're hosting a shrimp boil with some friends from church. Tomorrow will also mark our 5th month of waiting. We've heard nothing on that front, but hey what's new!

3 comments:

  1. Yikes, that stinks, especially when it's SO hot!! Have fun at the beach (I know you will)!!! You should put up an adoption waiting ticker (I am obsessed with tickers!!)!!

    Apparently, I also cannot control my "!!"'s today ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. New follower here. I'm in GA so I understand the misery of our heat and humidity here in the SE! I heard today that June was our hottest June on record - EVER. Ugh. Glad you got your a/c fixed. We had a similiar issue year before last and our circuit board caught fire in the attic where the unit is. Can you say frightening?!

    I'm so envious of your weekend! Please enjoy as you deserve it after your week! Have some shrimp for me b/c it's one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment! :) I could NOT live where you are. I would rather fling myself off a roof than have heat, especially with humidity. I guess that's the price I pay for being born and raised in Alaska! Hope your A/C gets fixed, pronto!

    ReplyDelete