Monday, February 28, 2011

Being a mom

This is my last week at home before I go back to work. I can't believe how time is flying by. I really hate to have to go back but I know our little Doodlebug will be in good hands with my Grandma (will probably be spoiled more than he already is).

This week he'll be 6 weeks old. I'll be honest, I think it's taken quite some time for all of this to seem "real." I know many first time parents experience this but I think it's different with adoption. One day you're "flying solo" the next you have a baby in tow. I have to say though, that we have LOVED every moment of it. Yes, even the getting up in the middle of the night--I know it might sound crazy but those are some of my favorite times.

I can't believe how many people in this world take their children for granted. We feel so extremely blessed to be parents to this precious baby boy. My heart melts each time I look at him and he looks up and locks eyes with me. He's starting to smile and it fills my heart with joy. I think his Daddy became a little jealous the other night because he wouldn't smile for him :) He definitely knows who we are now too. In a room with others, if he hears us talking, he'll turn his head to find us. There's just something so special about that.

In all of my wildest dreams, I would have never thought that parenthood would be this wonderful. I always thought it would be but once you make it there, it becomes so much more. I thank God everyday for bringing this special boy to us. People comment and say he's so blessed to have you two as parents; we say, no we are so blessed to have him as a son! All of the waiting and trials were so worth it and looking back, we wouldn't want it any other way.

We had a great weekend. On Saturday we drove up to Raleigh for our nephew's birthday. Garrett did so great. He even slept through the party which was at this place called adventure landing--kids running around and screaming everywhere! My nephew said, how can he sleep through this :) We hit the babies r us and target there because they have bigger selections than what we have here. We picked up a few things that we needed and headed home.

A bit of advice for those of you waiting (either through adoption or pregnancy)-if you buy a convertible crib, go ahead and get all of the parts (conversions kits etc). We just bought all of this stuff over the summer and babies r us doesn't sell them anymore. I have to call the company today and see if we can order them....ugh... It's not a huge deal because we could see ourselves doing this again in a couple of years. But it would have been nice if they would have told us this when we bought it!

We also heard back from the birthparents social worker at the end of the week. The birthfather was delighted with all of the pictures we sent and was fine with waiting until the summer to meet.

6 comments:

  1. i am so glad things are going awesome! i knew you would be an awesome mom :) also so glad about the birthfather being okay to wait until summer :) enjoy your last few days off of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post warms my heart and gives me so much hope. Enjoy your last week at home with the little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear everything has been going great. Keep us updated on how things continue to go so happy for your guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the advice about the crib! I've been putting that off so I'm going to go now and order ours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I had known you were in my parts Saturday. :) My heart was sad for you going back to work, but then I remembered you will have the whole summer with your precious boy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blessed journey you have been on! I'm so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete