Wednesday, February 9, 2011

3 weeks

It's hard to believe that our little doodlebug has been with us for 3 weeks now! We love him so much! He's such a sweetie; I know God knew exactly what He was doing when he placed him with us. It's funny to see Tommy interact with him and worry :) We gave him his first bath in his little bath tub last night. He seemed to really like it.

We had a great shower on Saturday! It's so nice to see so many family and friends and especially all of their support for us. The 4Runner was loaded down with stuff on the way home. We got some really nice things and some things that we really needed. I have some pictures but it's difficult to find time to get them uploaded :) I'll try to do that at some point today.

We've also experienced our first bit of family drama :) I think Tommy's mom is upset with us because we haven't brought Garrett to their house yet. They came over last Friday and watched him for me so I could get a hair cut. This shouldn't be new news to them because we've always said that things would have to change before we bring him over. They both smoke and they live in a small house, so that makes it worse. And by smoking, I mean they smoke a lot. It's difficult for us to go over there and when we leave it literally smells like we've been in a bar. I really do love them and want them to be around for Garrett but I don't want to subject him to that especially at such a young age (not to mention the birthmom and her older son both suffered with asthma). My mom and dad watched him for a bit on Friday night so I could go to a jewelry party and Tommy had a hair cut :) I dropped him off over there and I think when Tommy's mom found out she was upset. It's not that we're trying to hurt their feelings or play favorites, we're just trying to protect our son. Tommy has been very vocal with this for a long time so they know why we don't want him over there.

We also went to church on Sunday and he did really well. He slept the whole time :)

I'm already dreading having to go back to work. I go back on March 7th. I feel very blessed that my Grandmother is going to come to our house to keep him. She's so excited and I know he'll be in good hands. The plus side is I'll only have the rest of March, April, and May and then I'll be out for summer.

7 comments:

  1. DOODLEBUG!!! that is BY FAR the cutest pet name for a baby i have heard in a long time!! HAAA!!!!

    sheesh, i would not want to take our baby over to a smoke-filled house, either. have you guys been frank with the thought behind your decision? i think i would be inclined to just tell them the reason. because you are right, you just want to make sure your son is in a healthy environment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks A! I updated the blog but yes Tommy has always been very vocal in going over there especially with a child. So they know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our oldest is also a Doodlebug. :)

    Ah, welcome to the new kind of family drama now that you are a parent. I know you will handle it with grace and dignity, and you will do what is best for your son. Hang in there, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would feel the same way- babies should not be exposed to second hand smoke if at all possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't feel bad about the smoke thing, he is ours and you have the right to keep him away from that! I'm sorry you have some family drama, I hate that. Praying it doesn't become an allthetime thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try not to feel guilty with your in-laws. They had warning and have not changed. They could always come over to your house (and not smoke there) if they wanted to see him. You are making a great decision for your baby's health. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're in a similar position with my in-laws. We've always told them that when we have kids, we don't even want them around the smell, let alone the smoke itself. They are great about going outside, washing their hands, etc... but their house still smells really icky sometimes. It KILLS me getting home with Aidan and noticing he smells like he just put out a cigarette. So we don't go over there very much. :( Hope it straightens out!

    ReplyDelete