Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Taking things for granted

My eyes were opened yesterday. My heart was filled with sorrow and regret at all of the things I've taken for granted. I'm very blessed and often times I go through life and don't realize just how fortunate I am. Almost 8 years ago, Tommy went into cardiac arrest and I was blessed that his life wasn't taken. After some time had passed, you tend to "forget" about those feelings because you get consumed with the day to day. Yesterday that reminder came back.

Our hairdresser is a great friend. We love him just like he's a part of our family. We learned yesterday that his co-worker, she's in the booth right next to him, was tragically killed in a car accident. 30 years old. Her husband is fighting for his life, in critical condition with possible brain injury and he doesn't even know that his wife is gone. I can't imagine. We would often talk to her when we were getting haircuts and she was so sweet. They were trying to have a baby. Like a lot of us, they had problems and she had just begun taking fertility drugs. All of that doesn't even matter anymore.

Even though we really weren't that close to her, it made my heart hurt. It made me take a close look at my life and realize just how blessed we really are. I'm so, so thankful that my Tommy is still here. I can't imagine my life without him.

I think we get so bottled down in the day to day, whether it be wondering when "the call" is going to come or that positive pregnancy test or a new job, that we forget about the blessings. We forget to just stop.......and realize what we really do have.

Hug your family a little tighter tonight and bask in the blessings God has given all of us.

4 comments:

  1. your post made me cry. thank you for reminding me to be grateful for each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shock when things like this happen. Will be praying for the husband for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a sad, sad story. Death is always such a difficult process to endure. I can not even imagine what this lady's family is going through, and the fact that the husband will have his obstacles while learning of his wife's death...just simply saddens me. It is always such an eye opener hearing stories such as these.

    Family is what is most important here on earth. We all need to hug our families a little tighter tonight and share our appreciation for them and say I Love You. All we can do is love and be there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good reminder to cherish our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete