Friday, October 29, 2010

Positive thinking

Tommy and I had the privilege of attending a dinner auction benefit for cystic fibrosis last night. It was a lot of fun. Tommy ended up with two fishing poles by the time the night was over :) One will be an early birthday present for my dad.

One of my student's has cystic fibrosis and I never really knew much about it until her mom came in to talk to us. It's a pretty scary and serious disease that affects so many children. One of the men who spoke last night was very encouraging in his words. He was diagnosed with CF at age 2 and had a double lung transplant 20 years ago. He is the longest living survivor of a double lung transplant. Anyways, during his speech, he said his parents were always positive. He said he never knew how to think any other way. He said of course he was nervous when the time came for transplant but he just thought to himself, this will work. He said the best advice he can give is to think positive and believe in impossibilities.

Those few words rang so true in so many areas of our lives. My heart hurts for people going through diseases, cancer, and then of course IF. When I look back now, I see how IF has changed us and while we didn't know it before, it has changed us for the good. We started this process almost 4 years ago, so I've been there. I've cried over those negative pregnancy tests, mourned the loss of our babies, and felt frustrated when all seemed out of control. Almost 2 years ago (next Saturday), we transferred our last frozen embryo. It didn't work and it was after that time that we felt God pulling us in another direction. We knew we couldn't go through more treatments.

There are many people around us right now that are pregnant. I am truly excited for them but I hope they bask in the blessing that God has given them. I think so many people take that for granted. See the last post for more on that!

This week has been a good one. I have received many notes, emails, calls etc from friends and family just to let us know that they were praying for us and thinking about us. That gives me hope and keeps us going on this journey.

Just an update about our hairdresser's friends in the car accident. The husband is still in ICU; they had to remove half of his skull because of the swelling in the brain. They are not sure yet how much brain damage there is. He still doesn't know that his wife is gone. Please continue to pray for their families.

Tomorrow we have our much anticipated, long awaited, trip to try indoor skydiving with my best friend. I can't wait to try it out!

1 comment:

  1. I am excited to see how you enjoy the indoor skydiving. I have never tried any kind. It's one of those things that I want to try...but think I'd back out from being scared last minute. I'll be praying for your positive thinking as you continue your journey.

    ReplyDelete