Thursday, October 6, 2011

Mission accomplished

To add to an even more exciting week, we've all been sick around here! I thought I was feeling better from last week and then I came down with an awful sore throat on Sunday. I ended up going to the doctor on Monday and things are much better now! Poor Garrett's had a head cold but he's on the mend too, thank goodness!

We drove to Raleigh on Monday and got the birth certificate! It only took about 10 minutes, go figure! I don't know why they don't do that in the first place and then mail them. But anyways, we have it now! For my NC friends that go this route, they do charge a $15 fee to have it expedited, a $15 adoption fee, and $24 for the birth certificate ($15 for extra certified copies). We did go to babies r us while we were there and we met Tommy's brother for lunch so it was nice.

When we got back into town, we decided to go by the social security office to apply for Garrett's social security number. I tried doing this back in the summer but they told me I needed the birth certificate in order to apply for one. As I hand the application to the guy, along with the birth certificate, he says--we don't have to have the birth certificate--we can't use that as proof. I asked if he was kidding?! So good thing I had brought along the immunization record and the adoption decree (the same things I had before). He processed everything and said we should get it within a month, maybe even sooner.

So hopefully we're finished for now :) I never knew what an adventure this part would be!

3 comments:

  1. Great news! Bryan and I were just talking about this and we think we are going to do the same thing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just hate getting the run-around at places like that?? We got Kaylee's SSN within a couple of weeks. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on being finished!! What a relief, huh?

    ReplyDelete